Counseling - Getting Started
To begin the counseling process, please print and sign this Fact Sheet, then send it to us along with your completed application and $50 administrative fee. Feel free to contact us at (804) 358-1343 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. To download application you will need Acrobat Reader.
1. The Christian Counseling & Training Center (CCTC) is a non-profit ministry designed to serve people who have problems they cannot handle alone. The range of problems with which we deal is very wide. It includes broken and dysfunctional marriages, parent-child relationships, depression, alcohol and drug abuse, and any number of other problems that result in personal and interpersonal turmoil and distress.
2. The counselors/instructors at CCTC have been intensively trained in the principles and practices of Biblical Counseling. They are not trained psychotherapists or licensed professional counselors, nor do they practice psychological therapy.
3. The Biblical counselor/instructor maintains that the Scriptures provide practical, in-depth solutions to every type of problem of attitude, behavior and emotion. He is committed to the position that the Scriptures provide the only authoritative rule of faith and conduct for life.
4. The counselors usually work in teams. Sessions are normally one hour and are conducted by a lead counselor, who is assisted by either one or two others. This is done to allow for greater insight and objectivity in the counseling process and for the purpose of training less-experienced counselors. All of the counselors are under some form of supervision and come to us with the support and recommendation of their pastors and/or local church.
5. Confidentiality is respected. What occurs in class or the counseling session may be discussed with other counselors or the leadership of your church, but only to the degree necessary to find further Biblical solution to the problems presented and/or for training purposes. Exceptions to this policy would involve situations that the Scriptures or the Laws of Virginia demand otherwise. In either case the counselee with be informed prior to such disclosure. All such consultation will be conducted in accord with the highest standards of Biblical ethics.
6. We at CCTC believe in the total health needs of the counselee. Your counselor or instructor may recommend that you have a full or specified medical examination.
7.Please download, print, and mail the application to the CCTC office at 3602 Floyd Avenue, Richmond, VA 23221. Please mail the $50.00 administrative fee at this time as well. Once the CCTC office receives the completed form and the administrative fee, the counseling coordinator will call you to schedule an Assessment. There is no fee for the Assessment appointment. The purpose of this appointment is to evaluate your situation and needs, and to give recommendations, which could include: weekly counseling sessions, crisis intervention, counseling courses, and/or referral to another counseling organization. Necessary administrative processing will also take place. This includes an orientation to counseling, along with signing necessary release forms. To download application you will need Acrobat Reader.
8. Financial Considerations:
a. There is a $50.00 administrative fee which must accompany the completed Application for Counseling. The Administrative fee must be received prior to scheduling your Assessment appointment. There is no charge for the original assessment.
b. When meeting with a counseling team a donation of $50 is suggested for each additional session following the Assessment.
c. There is tuition for the courses, as outlined in the quarterly CCTC course flyer, but it has been kept at a minimum to cover our hard costs, so that finances will not hinder anyone from taking the courses.
d. If you are currently experiencing financial difficulty and find the cost to be prohibitive, contact the CCTC office for our Financial Resource Checklist and Counseling Assistance Application. We ask that you give serious prayerful consideration to both of these forms as you determine how you might contribute towards the expense of your counseling.
*Please note that no one will be denied help due to lack of financial resources.
9. Due to this financial position, the costs to CCTC exceed the income from the counseling and classes. As a non-profit organization, CCTC is dependent on support from a variety of sources including the people we serve. This is a Biblical means of support for continuing the work of the ministry (Galatians 6:6, Matthew 10:5-11, I Corinthians 9:14, I Timothy 5:18). Upon completion of your counseling, monthly support to CCTC is greatly appreciated!
10. Come with high expectations! We believe that with your cooperation, the Lord will help you find a good and acceptable answer to the difficulty that prompted you to contact us.